WHO ARE WE?
Abaana Ministries is a registered charity (NIC102194) based in Bangor, Northern Ireland. We work primarily in Uganda to bring hope to children living in poverty, through the provision of school buildings, securing sponsorship for some of the poorest children to attend school and rescuing children who are living rough on the streets.
The security of your information is of key importance to Abaana. This Privacy Notice reflects how Abaana collects, stores and uses your information.
HOW DO WE COLLECT INFORMATION FROM YOU?
Personal data is defined as any information from which you can be identified as an individual.
We obtain information about you in the following ways:
Information which you give us directly
For example, we will obtain information about you, when you take part in one of our events such as our Annual Sleep Out / Sponsored Fast, make a donation, apply to volunteer with us, sign up to support one of our programmes, such as Child Sponsorship, Street Reach, Partners etc.
Information which you give us indirectly
Your information may be shared with us by third parties, such as on–line fundraising sites like Just Giving and BTMyDonate.
WHAT INFORMATION IS COLLECTED FROM YOU
The personal information we collect, store and use can include:
- Your name and contact details (including postal address, email address and telephone number)
- Photographs and videos
- Where you make payments / donations to Abaana, we would also receive:
- Bank account and/or credit card details
- Your taxpayer status (to enable Abaana to claim Gift Aid, as appropriate, on any donations you may make)
Sensitive personal data
Data Protection legislation defines certain personal data as sensitive – e.g. information regarding an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, trade union activities, physical or mental health, sexual life or details of criminal offences.
Abaana does not routinely collect information of this nature, and may only do so, (where you are involved in an Abaana team or taking part in an event), for the purposes of meeting its safeguarding responsibilities and/or insurance cover policy requirements. We will always make clear the reasons why we need this information.
HOW WE USE THAT INFORMATION?
We may use your information for several purposes:
To provide you with the services, information and products you asked for – e.g.
- For a Child Sponsor, we will send you letters from your sponsor child(ren);
- Updates on specific programmes of interest;
- To provide you with information / updates which may be of interest to you as a supporter:
- Official Newsletter updates;
- Information on key areas of activity and any related appeals being organised
- To collect, in line with your instructions, regular donations from your Bank Account;
- To administer specific schemes such as our Child Sponsorship and Street Reach programmes
- To keep a record of our relationship with you – e.g. donations received
- To contact you to thank you for your support and/or for a donation received
- To carry out the routine processes and procedures necessary to the running of a charity
- To meet legislative requirements
- In certain specific instances, we may be required by legislation to make your information available to relevant authorities
LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING YOUR INFORMATION
We are required to have a legal basis for processing your information.
Abaana uses the legal basis of “legitimate interest”. This is defined as “…use of people’s data in ways that they would reasonably expect and which has minimal privacy impact…”
WHAT WE DON’T DO
We will never sell your information to third parties.
Under Data Protection legislation, we are only permitted to retain your information as long as is reasonable to do so.
In the case of financial information, such as details of donations, we are required by law to retain that information for six years, following the accounting period relating to the transaction.
You are entitled at any time to ask for a record of information we hold about you [Data Subject Request]. This should be made in writing to the Assistant Director, Abaana, 78 High Street, Bangor, BT20 5AZ or by emailing email@example.com using ‘Data Subject Request’ in the title bar.
At any time, you can request that Abaana remove and delete any information which it holds about you. Such requests should be made either in writing or by email, as outlined above.
If you have any queries in relation to this policy, please contact Abaana as outlined above.