Abaana Internship Programme 2019–2020
About the post
Abaana is a Christian based charity which invests in children in Africa, helping them to break the chains of poverty through education. Do you have a passion to make a difference? Could you help Abaana fulfil its goals? Why not consider our exciting internship opportunity?
The internships will run from August 2019 until the end of June 2020 (with the option of a trip to Uganda as part of an Abaana team in July/August 2020). The main areas of work will be:
– Supporting Abaana’s general work: Helping within the office, running events and giving presentations.
– Promotion of Challenge 48: Helping Abaana network across schools and universities to encourage as many people as possible to be involved in C48.
– Supporting the Abaana New Life Choir: Assisting in the preparations for the potential New Life Choir tour.
– Supporting the teams: Promoting teams to Uganda, assisting with the preparation of and travelling to Uganda with a team.
– Other areas: At Management’s discretion
Each intern’s post covers 35 hours per week which will include some evenings and weekends. During the post Abaana will aim to develop the skills of each intern (see below).
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have:
• Ability to work on own initiative and have flexibility with regards to the role.
• Ability to work as an enthusiastic team member and gain the confidence of colleagues, donors and the public.
• Willingness to network with students across schools and Universities.
• Education: A–levels or equivalent.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent organisational skills.
• Ability to drive and access to a car.
• A personal Christian faith and be able to support the ethos and aims of Abaana.
The successful interns will receive a bursary to the value of £450 each per month and will have their normal workplace expenses covered. In addition, Abaana will also make a contribution of £700 towards your team costs.
Think you might like to join us?
On two sides of A4 paper tell us the following:
• Who you are?
• What sort of education you have had?
• Your God story – how did you meet Jesus?
• What you think you can bring to the post?
• What you would like to achieve through this internship?
• Why do you want this internship?
• Describe yourself in five words.
Please ensure you send us your full name, address, email and phone number along with the above to Neville via email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: Friday 24th May @ 12 noon.
Interviews w/c 3rd June 2019.
Key areas to develop –
The interns will work through a Skills Passport, showing their progress in key learning areas, recording both the skills they have learnt, and the amount of time they had in experience.
Some of the key skills and experience they will acquire:
· General office skills and experience
o Handling money – Good practice in record keeping and accountability. Will gain experience in handling income, processing and banking.
o Working with databases – Will learn the basics about databases and the importance of connecting with donors (or customers) – Will learn the importance of accurate data input, and gain experience in using databases.
· Development of communications skills
o Will learn about how to deal with donors and service providers on the phone. Will gain experience in dealing with phone calls.
o Networking – will gain experience in using networks to develop /secure opportunities.
o Will learn about marketing through different medias, and have opportunities to run some media campaigns.
o Will receive training in public speaking, from preparation to delivery, and gain at least 20 hours of experience.
o Will be mentored in the office environment, and develop skills of communication with other staff.
· Leadership skills
o Will be coached on how to lead volunteers and have first–hand experience in leading teams of volunteers.
o May have potential to be part of a leadership in a team to Uganda.
· Travel Experience
o Travel to Uganda working with Ugandan team and gain knowledge of Abaana Uganda.
· Develop advanced IT skills in a wide range of products.
o Use of Excel from basic to advanced skills, including uses of filters, advanced formulas, pivot tables etc.
o Use of advanced Word applications, including mail merge.
o Full use of PowerPoint – All interns will be able to design and create full multimedia presentations, fully using transitions, animations and embedding video or other multimedia.
o Use of Outlook – managing tasks and calendar.
o Use of Adobe products (creative)
· Creative planning
o Will gain opportunities to plan and implement their own ideas.